BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 2008 bmw 328i is making a noise when I push the gas and…

Customer Question
My 2008 bmw 328i is...
My 2008 bmw 328i is making a noise when I push the gas and turn my wheel. It gets worse with the cold. The sound mimics a small toy car or a wound up toy that is revving up
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
12/4/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Does this happen when stationary?
A little bit yes

does the noise occur only when you hit the very extreme right or left of wheel turning?

It does occur when this happens but not only

did the noise start out of nowhere? how did this present itself?

Out of nowhere. Probably happens gradually but I didn’t really notice

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

thank you for clarifying.

these cars are known for making some noise from the steering system, particularly when reaching the end stops of an extreme right or left turn. So, what you are experiencing may be normal or just slightly louder than normal (as I cannot experience the noise first hand I cannot say with certainty). This can be temp dependent.

If the noise is not normal, or louder than normal, this would typically be due to either low steering fluid, extremely old/dirty steering fluid, or a failing steering pump.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.