BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2010 535i GT I'd like to install a forward recording camera…

Customer Question
Hello, 2010 535i GT I'd like to...
2010 535i GT
I'd like to install a forward recording camera on top-middle my windshield and tap into nearby power source (splice?). My options are dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, and overhead console.My goals are:
Avoid blowing fuses and/or triggering sensors
Make sure the power to device is turned off at or shortly after the car is shut off.Power to the device requires 5v, so I am planning to install a 12v to 5v converter on cable running to the camera. Would appreciate any advice.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
12/3/2017
BMW Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

It is never advisable to splice into the wiring of a late madel BMW. The only sugestion I would give is to splice into one of the power outlets. Example cig lighter, if it has one, or the power outlet for the phone charger. These circuits are unmonitored by the body module and wont set any unwanted codes. The mirror and rain sensor are monitored by the body module. The overhead console is monitored by the light module. I know it would be easier to use an upper power source ,but you don't want any problems either I hope this helps. Good luck

Peter, thanks for the advise. If I still want to proceed with this, which should I use- rain sensor or rearview mirror? Serial or parallel?

I would use the mirror. The rain sensor might trigger the wipers. Just use the power supply and use a seperate ground source. You can route the ground wire under the overhead console to one of the mounting screws.

Got it. Just curious: why not use the mirror ground wire?

You want to keep as many of your splices away from the factoy wiring as possible. There is always that possibility of unwanted iterference from add on options.

thank you