BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2003 BMW 525i (E39) Hard to start in the morning...

Customer Question
2003 BMW 525i (E39) Hard to...
2003 BMW 525i (E39)
Hard to start in the morning... sometimes it will take five minutes of cranking to start.
Already replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, O2 Sensor... Any ideas? Please help...
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
BMW Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 7 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

A fuel pump or a coolant temp sensor will also cause this. Some testing and diagnostics would be in order at this point.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

alredy replaced coolant temp sensor

Great, test the pump then. Check for leaking injectors too.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Did you have any more questions for me at this time in chat?

Thanks again, Ron

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.

fuel pressure drops overnight

That's what I thought, then it takes a while of cranking for the fuel rail to refill. Most likely one or more leaking injectors.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link just in case you need more help.