BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My radio seams to work fine but my aux port does not play…

Customer Question
My radio seams to...

My radio seams to work fine but my aux port does not play any sound the usb option is not on the screen

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Trying to find out which ones are for the aux port

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2007 e90 335i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 335i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, first i thought the mulf might have failed but when i unplug its the optical cable there is still the light which made me thing it is working. I just took the usb/ aux port out of my car and was about to test the pins when i play music with a multimeter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just recently bought the car and the previous owner said it was working on day but failed randomly

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I purchased this 2007 e90 335i a few days ago and I was told that the aux used to work but randomly quit one day. It has the aux and usb port in the center console but when i press media there is no option for usb and the option for aux that is present doesnt seem to make any sound. Ive tried adjusting my volume settings on both the car and my phone and nothing seems to change. The car does have the the 6FL option for the usb as well as the telematics preparation option. It also has the mid level radio (not logic 7) with the tweeters in the front and I've checked that no one removed the amp or the mulf2. I also unpluged the optical cable from the mulf2 and it is still producing the red optical data light so i'm naively assuming it's working. I did notice that the mulf2 had a coaxial plug that was not connected as well. The only thing I have not checked is the usb hub since it seams like the most work to get at. But i don't think the usb hub is the issue since the wiring diagrams I found seem to show that the aux wire run right to the mulf.
dont worry about the calling, the email should be fine
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the vin?
WBAVB73577FV75409
If it cost another 35 im fine with email
chat
I have a little more info now that I have tested a few things. I tested the 4 wires from the aux port to the mulf 54 pin connector with a test light and they are all fine so the input plug is not the issue. It seams like the issue has to be in the MOST bus loop. Apparently the old owner tried a few different oem head units that all had no sound through the aux port, so i believe the head unit is fine. The literature I've seen says the optical bus only runs in one direction so is there a procedure to check the loop?