BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2008 bmw 335i engine fault light comes on without fault.

Customer Question
2008 bmw 335i engine...

2008 bmw 335i engine fault light comes on without fault

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Engine light with warnimng

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 BMW?

335i e90

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 335i yourself? What have you tried so far?

No had all reset after purchase three months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Then light came on and lost engine power but now i do not blose power but the light keeps coming on after restarting the car it disappears as soon as i accelerate hard the light comes back on

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
11/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Even if you had it reset a few months ago the light coming on now indicates the engine computer has detected a fault with one or more components with the engine or transmission.What has to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicles data port to read out what fault codes are set.Once this is done any codes set ( as there will be at least one code set) will then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.

A shop or dealer should be able to read out the fault codes and diagnose as well as repair this issue for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the codes at no charge to you.They won't be able to diagnose the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault needing replaced.

With the light being intermittent and a power loss issue as well this may be a fault with a component like a lack of fuel with an intermittent fuel pump issue or possibly even a fault with the throttle body electronics.But there are several components that can cause this issue here so the codes do need read out to help locate and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete