BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My abs and 4x4 break light red is on. Both. 2006 x3. My 4x4…

Customer Question
My abs and 4x4...

My abs and 4x4 break light red is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Both

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2006 x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My 4x4 light is on also

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
11/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

BMW Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 4 months ago

Are you experiencing any driving/ braking issues too or just the malfunction lights are on?

BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are several things that will cause the ABS light to come on and it will require some testing to determine the cause of the problem.

The ABS light comes on when the ABS module sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The problem could be anything from the brake switch to the module itself, wiring, the hydraulic control unit and pump motor, wheel speed sensors, the steering angle sensor or yaw sensor. The most common cause of an ABS light would be a bad wheel speed sensor.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set in the ABS module and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician