BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

E60 523i Steering noise while turning right or left

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
11/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 9 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what kind of noise this is that you are hearing?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Knocking noise, tick tick...Feel like something loose in steering

O.k., the intermediate steering shaft needs checked for wear and being loose.There was a bulletin released on some of these to lubricate the steering shaft slip ring and install a new bolt.I would have the steering shaft and intermediate shaft checked for any play or damage and to see if this needs to be done.This is something usually best done by a shop or dealer with the correct tools and procedure on how to do this.This way the steering doesn't get turned and off-center or over clocked damaging the electronics in the steering column.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Mechanic did some check, he ask me to change steering rack. Do you have any photos to check exact part ?for intermediate steering shaft and how to remove.

I dont show an exact picture of it but it does connect to the steering rack and the end of it is shown below.There was a bulletin released as well to lubricate the shaft slip ring as shown in #1 below and replace the bolt for the shaft.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wmsk4ym5n3luxj/sh-12-05.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/368hlksqquwrwgv/bo-12-05.gif?dl=0

Bulletin number SI B 32 17 08.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete