BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Battery is beyond dead can not get into car 1989 525i. Can't…

Customer Question
Battery is beyond dead...

Battery is beyond dead can not get into car 1989 525i

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Can't get to battery can't get into car to open hood latch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525i yourself? What have you tried so far?

AAA locksmith local mechanic no one can open door tried slim jim

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there anyway through the trunk to charge enough to get a door opened

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
11/28/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
If the pull the door handle and then turn the key as far as possible with the handle raised it should open. This is the procedure to get in without battery power. You may need to pump the handle and work at it a bit given the age of the components that have likely never been used, but this is what bmw engineered into the car to allow for opening.
If you can get it to work you can jack it up and charge from the starter. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.