BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2007 BMW X5 that I do not have water pump voltage…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 BMW...
I have a 2007 BMW X5 that I do not have water pump voltage going to it need location of the fuses for the pump circuit
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
11/28/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the last 7 of the vin?
steve, I have an issue with my x5 I do not have power on the main 12 volt feed I replaced the pump and found a rubbed wire also that I believe blew a fuse as I also lost my AWD and DSC circuit
in my fuse layout card is says there are fuse f45-f49 but it does not give a location on them
Please provide the last 7 of the vin.
L010685
Im going to have to get going soon have to work

you have to drop a panel in the front to access those fuses. this video isn't in English but it shows what you need to drop. should be one of the few fuses you reveal - 40amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzMzgWhoFr0

Please don't forget to select a positive rating

thats the problem mine does not have those fuses in there
already looked
are you a certified BMW Tech?

that is the only set up I am aware of and the one that shows for your vin. I will opt out.

BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you still need help with this?

if you have knowledge on the 07 x5

Ok, have you located the junction box that Steve described?

as I said the fuses that are listed for what I need are not in there f45-f49 if you find a diagram on the web it shows a block for them that is blacked out and they are not in the panel
the panel has a junction box attached to it from what is found on the web and alldata, I am also a expert on here also so I have a lot of info on it but bmw does not disclose where the fuses are that is why I am looking for a expert that has knowledge of the unit

I have a couple in the shop that I may be able to drop down and look at later today.

It looks to me as though F45-F49 are built into the fuse box. I would say that the fuse box needs to be replaced if you have no power to the pump.

Click on the attachment below. The red wire from the pump plugs into X16818 on the bottom of the fuse box. Unless you an open the box to replace the fuse you will need to replace the box. Assuming that there is no voltage out of the box on that terminal.

Let me know what you find on your car.

Hi Jack, just checking in. What did you find on the fuse box?

Hi Jack, did you ever get this sorted out?

I found that the fuse in the box was blown replaced the problem and I still get a problem with the pump, I think its temp related when I pull it in the shop and warm the vehicle I can function the pump as normal once i put it back outside it will not function

Have you replaced the water pump yet?

pump. thermostat, wire pigtail

Any fault codes?

when the vehicle is outside the code 2e82 comes in and shuts off the pump when the car is inside no code comes in and functions fine

Not sure why putting the car outside makes any difference. Have you checked the ground wire for the pump where it bolts to the block? Will the pump complete the bleeding procedure?

checked all wires replaced the wire pigtail also and yes as long as the vehicle is inside a warm shop the pump will do the bleed off test, but again if you put the vehicle outside and let it get cold down to outside temp right now is 20 pump will not turn on by scan tool or by vehicle and if you start the vehicle the high speed fans turn on and will to have heat, so there has to be something thermo controlling this
will not have heat

It would seem like the problem is due to high resistance in the wiring. I'd have to suggest going through all of the wiring back to it's source. You could run power directly to the two hot leads and add a ground and see what happens.

I'd especially check where you spliced in the pigtail.

this all happened prior to the replacement of the wires not after, so I dont see the resistance being the issue I replaced the pigtail thinking I had a connection issue

It looks like you are down to either the wiring or the pump or the DME. Did you use a new OEM pump?

oem parts

Do you have the correct ratio of coolant in the car?

that I am not sure of
what should it be and does the brand matter all I can get here is the euro blue bmw brand

50/50 Euro blue is fine.

im pretty certain that is what I did was 50/50 but im going to drain and check just to be sure

It's worth a shot. If the freeze protection is not correct the coolant may be freezing in the pump.

no i know that its if anything heavy on coolant not lighter

Understood. We're grabbing at straws here but let's get the mix about right and see what happens.

Hi Jack, have you made any progress on this?

BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Just checking in. How are you doing with the BMW?

Hi Jack, any news here? I believe I correctly answered your original question regarding the fuse for the water pump. If you would please rate my service on this question I would appreciate it.

Marty