BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2013 328i. The hood open warning light is on but…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 328i. The hood open warning light is on but the hood is latched. I can't drive it because of the sound warning it's making. How can I reset it or just disconnect it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything much. I've just opened and closed the hood a couple of times to make certain that the hood is in fact latched. It is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car had been setting up un-started for about 3 weeks while I was out of the country. This problem occurred the first time I got in it upon my return.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
11/27/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 5 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hello - what is the last 7 of the vin?
J599236

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

there is a sensor in the right lower hood lock that informs the car if the hood is closed or not. here is an image: https://www.google.com/search?q=51237242549

this may be damaged or otherwise not functioning properly. I would check the switch / hood lock for any issues. try disconnecting it as well.

ultimately you may need to replace the hood lock if the switch is bad

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert