BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Exhaust variator was and timing chain changed recently on my…

Customer Question
Exhaust variator was and...

Exhaust variator was and timing chain changed recently on my n 46 engine . When I got it back the whole tone of the engine was different. It sounds a lot like a deep growling noise .

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

104k , reset valve timing , car is very responsive, however noise still there.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

E46 2004 318ci coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No Cannot fix it myself . Been to two so-called experts, both said nothing wrong with it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
11/23/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly was your question about this? How can I help you?
The timing chain and exhaust variator were changed on my 318ci coupe and when I received it back the whole tone of the engine had changed . The noise could best be described as a more deeper and growling noise than before.
What can I do to remedy the excessive and unusual engine noise so that my car can perform normally again?
How the performance changed?
No because the valve timing was reset . The car is fast but noisy.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if the vehicle is performing normally and two techs have said nothing is wrong, it is hard for me to conclude from here what the issue might be or if there is even an issue.

if there is one, it would be due to a software issue or the installation of the new variator.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert