BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Going to replace dead battery. Battery has been dead for 5…

Customer Question
Going to replace dead...

Going to replace dead battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Battery has been dead for 5 yrs haven't tested it and have never changed one

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's my sister's and was working when she stored it. haven't tried anything yet

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you asking how to replace this battery?

Can you tell me the model of this BMW?

Let me know,thanks Pete

not asking how to replace.
2005 745LI.

O.k. are you asking why the battery is dead?

Let me know,thanks Pete

no thanks, ***** ***** to know about registering.

So your asking about any settings that may need set after it is replaced or any relearns is this correct?

or where I go to get it done.

O.k.,you can take the vehicle to any European repair facility and they can do the window and sun roof normalization procedure as well as any other resetting needed.They would charge about an hours labor to replace the battery and reset all sensor parameters.I can post here all that has to be done if you like.Some you may be able to do on your own and some require a compatible scan tool or computer to perform.But any european repair facility can replace the battery if needed and perform these relearns.You can of course replace it yourself and then take it to one to have done as well.Let me know if you want the info on what needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 10 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi,Different expert here. The battery needs to be registered to the car so that the car monitors and charges the battery correctly. It is very rare that the sunroof or anything else requires recalibration after battery replacement, but the computer registration is required. A BMW dealer or BMW specialist shop can do this - I would call ahead and confirm that any non-dealer is equipped for this procedure.
please let me know if you have further questions.
as there are two experts involved here, please take care to positively rate my answer. best of luck with your vehicle.