BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2006 BMW X5 with a 6-cyl 3.0i engine. The vehicle…

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 BMW X5 with a 6-cyl 3.0i engine. The vehicle overheats when I use the air-conditioning at idle when the vehicle is warmed up; the blower will blow air but it is not cold. But when I operate the vehicle at, say, highway speed the air is cool and the engine doesn't overheat. I'm trying to figure out what is the issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

There is a slow leak in the coolant system. However if I keep it filled properly, the air conditioning issue still persists.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not working on it myself. I want to take it in to have it looked at but want to have a good idea about what might be the cause so that I am not just simply charged to replace the most expensive component of the system; and also to get an idea of ballpark cost to repair.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma'am

11/22/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Did you bleed the cooling system after filling up coolant?

The vehicle had a leak before, but was found to be a hose and it was replaced. I have not yet had this issued investigated by a professional. I did not bleed the cooling system. I just add coolant when it gets to the low point. The first time I noticed the issue, the coolant was very low. Since then I keep a close eye on it.

The symptom you are experiencing with overheating at idle and runs better at high speeds due to getting air cooled is usually caused by a faulty radiator fan, faulty radiator fan control module or air flow restriction between the radiator.

Ok. Would that then in turn affect the a/c function as well, or is that a separate issue?

Yes, When the ac is turned on the cooling fan under hood is supposed to come on and cool the freon high pressure. That is why it overheats faster when ac is on.

I see. Would you happen to know approximately what those radiator related repairs cost? Thank you for your help on this.

Radiator fan replacement can cause approc 400-450$, radiator fan control module can cause approx 300-350, a faulty temp sensor can cause approx 150$ and if air flow restriction inbetween radiator and fan can cause approx 100-200$ to clean.

Thanks for that. When I described exactly what I described to you, to a local mechanic, he thought it a strong possibility that it could be the auxiliary coolant pump. Does that also seem plausible to you? I am surprised that neither the local mechanic nor you are suspicious of the a/c; but I am not very auto mechanic savvy.

Aux water pump can give you similar symptom but usually does not get affected by the ac operation.

Do you have any other questions?
No not at this time. Thank you
You’re welcome and good luck with your vehicle and Please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise I will not get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.
Gunvir Singh