BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW engine specialist only! Cannot remove spark plugs.

Frozen, looking at stripping cylinder...
BMW engine specialist only! Cannot remove spark plugs. Frozen, looking at stripping cylinder head threads.
11/22/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi what exactly was your question about this? how can I help you?
Steve, the spark plugs will not break free with significant torque. More effort will very likely strip out cylinder head threads resulting in a major problem. Have you seen this? What are possible, previously employed successful solutions other than force the issue and pray for the best, ***** ***** not an option?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

plugs do freeze but it isn't all that common.

usually putting some oil or PBBlaster on each and waiting a couple hours for it to penetrate, then using sufficient force to break them free works. Even when a breaker bar has to be used to get enough leverage, it is very rare to strip out the head.

so your best bet is oil or pbblaster.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

I see there are recommendations for PB Blaster are using a mix of ATF and acetone that some say is better. And then trying to super-cool the plug. OK, but if I force it and the threads are galled then what is the next step? Can this BMW head be heliocoiled in place? I cannot afford to pull the head! Help me fell more confident, it it truly rare that the head threads strip?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

yes it is truly rare that this will strip. yes you can time-sert it in place if needed, but again, very rare.

my preference is pbblaster, anything that penetrates will help. you also want to use the shortest extension possible and you can tap with a hammer gently to apply a jolt of torque that can help break the plug free if you want. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Not sure what choice I have. Thank you.
Also talking to you about the secondary air pump faults on a 2002 E46, waiting to get car back to check voltage at pump. But if I may return to this earlier question. 3 cylinders are reportedly misfiring per fault codes. How likely is it for 3 coils to be defective vs. 3 plugs? The plugs were changed maybe 40000 miles ago, plus or minus. Coils may or may not be original (car was 13 years old when we got it). The reason I ask is because I am still nervous about pulling the plugs but don’t want to spend $150 on coils only to find out that is not the problem. I can switch coils to see if misfire follows the coil but how would I know? How do I determine which cylinders are faulty except for fault code?