BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 2003 SMW X5 3.0, all of a sudden I stop at a store

and get back in car...
I have a 2003 SMW X5 3.0, all of a sudden I stop at a store and get back in car and turn key and nothing happens. Starter will not turn, cluster lights will not coming, windows will mot go up or down, but the headlights work, interior lights work, key remote unlocks & locks doors, but ignition system and instrument cluster not working. I have checked fuses. Can someone help me get my car back on the road? Thanks in advance for any help
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mentioned in 1st note
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There were no warning signs
11/22/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this an intermittent fault or is it occuring right now to where you cannot restart it at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I cannot start at all right now, never has happened before
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Cannot call right now

I apologize for the delay.

Do you hear any clicking noises at all inside the vehicle or under the hood in the engine area when trying to start it?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There is no clicking noise like the starter trying to engage. No noise or no instrument cluster lights when I turn the key. I cannot call right now, but will later.

No problem on the call.That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

From what you have described here with what is occuring.YOu do have power to some components that do not require the key to be on to work but components that do require the key to be on are not working or not all working.This can indicate the electronic ignition switch itself is at fault needing replaced.The switch can fail internally electronically causing this fault here with it needing replaced to resolve this issue.

You will have to have the fault codes read out unfortunately and the switch tested to help pinpoint this is the cause for this issue.It does sound like it is at fault with all you have going on with the vehicle and can fail on its own suddenly like this.

But having the codes checked will help to pinpoint it as the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks Pete, logical reply and I'm grateful for that. Let me get someone to read code and check the electronic ignition switch

Your welcome

Unfortunately from here it is difficult to pinpoint the issue for sure but this does sound to be the possible cause and the switch can fail suddenly and cause this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Thanks for your help Pete, but the repairs done by the repair shop had nothing to do with the ignition switch. From what they told me, they had to replace 2 relay switches in the trunk and rewire a harness in the fuse box under the hood. Run good for 2 days.Pete, I just got car back 2 days ago and now the "Transmission failsafe program" light is on, along with the brake & ABS lightany thoughts

I suspect the lights on now may have to do with the re wire that was done.I would have the fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model's data port to see what codes are set then those codes can be diagnosed and repaired.If it is found that it is related to the re wire they did then I would see if they will cover the costs to repair it.If it is not related then the fault would need to be repaired at a charge to you, unfortunately.

The transmission fail-safe and abs and brake will come on together when a fault is detected with the abs components or transmission components so the codes do need read out to see what codes are set.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician