BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

When my car has to sit outside in the cold over night (below…

Hi when my car...

Hi when my car has to sit outside in the cold over night (below -10C or like 25F in the morning it will say transmission fault and i will have to warm up the engine then restart it before it will shift out of 3rd gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Its as old as the car, i think something is leaking but im not sure what

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am , i haven't tried anything yet, except i just had to replace my alternator and there was a lot of fluid leaking around that so i dont know if the tranny is leaking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

11/22/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most likely if the fluid was around the alternator itself this isnt a transmission leak issue here.It may be an engine component leak like a valve cover gasket leak needing repaired and shouldnt be related to the transmission fault.

This sounds like a fault with a sensor or solenoid in the transmission itself acting up needing replaced.An electrical component in the transmission will be affected by the cold which is why you are most likely seeing this issue on a cold start.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in it to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.This is the first thing that needs done and it will help to pinpoint this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

ok thankyou, i will scan it when i get home, how hard is it to replace the transmission sensors or solenoids?

Your welcome

It all depends on which is at fault but usually the transmission valve body has to be removed to access and replace them and this will require removal of the transmission pan to access it and a torque wrench to torque down the valve body bolts keeping track of which bolt goes where on reinstallation.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

ok so i would have to drain the transmission fluid, take the pan off, replace whatever is broken the put the pan back on and replace the oil

Yes that is correct.That would need done in that order.

Thanks Pete

awesome thank you! will do

Your welcome

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician