BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2006 X5 4.8 with 107,000 miles and have owned it 15…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 X5...
I have a 2006 X5 4.8 with 107,000 miles and have owned it 15 months...put 10K on it in that time. Engine seems to work fine and does tranny.... not significant problems....until last week. Same day a rear window broke and on the way home the noise I thought was a water pump turned out to be a water pump. I am not sure if the tranny has ever been serviced ....since BMW advertises no service tranny or 100,000. So I need to decide to put $1,500 or more fixing the H2O pump and servicing the tranny and hoping it takes me to 150 or 175,000 without killing my bank. Like i said all feels fine with motor and tranny prior to H2O pump going out. I have been reading about things like timing chain guides and tranny problems if not serviced every 50K. I also filed Chapter 7 bankrupcy so I can just call the lender and tell them to come pick up thier car...and owe nothing....but I do like the car and have $5K of stereo in it. Sure would like it to get me another 50K before giving it up but the potential for expenses scares me. What would you do?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
11/21/2017
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd say that with a new pump and being serviced the car should reach 150K miles

sounds like you're already on this but a general Warning about Automatic Transmissions: Many BMWs have "sealed for life" automatic transmissions. Regardless of whether you have a full BMW service history, the dealer will never change the auto fluid. Many of these boxes are failing around the 120-150k mark - often well outside of warranty and to a cost of £3.5k plus VAT. A good independent or automatic transmission specialist can and will change the fluid for you (and any good BMW independents will recommend this anyway). This is commonplace in the US and means the 'box should last the life of the car rather than being the cause of it being written off. General advice is ensure the fluid is flushed out every 60k or more preferably at each Inspection II.

Alarm system Body Control Module (BCM) can revert to "Shipping mode" and not respond to the remote. A good specialist can recode it. But some BMW dealers want $430 plus fitting for a replacement module.

please note that there was a transmisson recall so check with your dealer if your car is effected or not

Electrical/wiring loom problems starting to afflict the model quite badly.

If satnav fails and BWW dealer wants £1,600 to replace it, the failure may only be the laser disc reader and a specialist can fix this for £250.

Recalls

Recall Date: 14-6-2001 NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 01V196000 2001 BMW X5 POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:PARK/NEUTRAL START SWITCH Summary: 4.4I SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD, ABRASION PARTICLES COULD DEPOSIT ON THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS WITHIN THE SWITCH, CAUSING A DISRUPTION OF THE ELECTRIC CURRENT THROUGH THE CONTACTS. IF THE DISRUPTION OCCURS WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STATIONARY WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN THE NEUTRAL OR PARK POSITIONS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL SWITCH AUTOMATICALLY INTO THE EMERGENCY PROGRAM, WHICH IS DISPLAYED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER VIA A WARNING LAMP AND A MESSAGE, "TRANS. FAIL-SAFE PROG." IN THIS CASE, THE VEHICLE CAN BE DRIVEN IN LOWER GEARS ONLY WITH LIMITED ENGINE OUTPUT. Consequence: IF THIS PROBLEM OCCURS, THE ABILITY TO MAINTAIN SPEED IN TRAFFIC AND/OR ACCELERATE COULD BE GREATLY DIMINISHED, POSSIBLY LEADING TO A CRASH. Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION GEAR POSITION INDICATOR SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN AUGUST 14, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-***-***-****.Potential Units Affected: 14300. 31/1/2001: Build dates 21/9/2000 - 19/1/2001 Check for possibility that steering column joint was not assembled correctly.

16-11-2001: cars built 11/11/2000 - 30/9/2001 recalled because fault with radiator fan motor could lead electrics to overload, fan motor to fail and a small electrical fire to result.

31-7-2002: Bush on brake pedal mounting shaft may come off and brake pedal may also come off. 1,971 X5s to be checked and bush secured with new pin.

August 2002: 56,000 X5s recalled worldwide because brake pedal shaft can work free. Affects UK imports built between 1999 and 2001.

3-2-2003: Front brake hose could rub on tyre. Securing clip to be fitted.

24-2-2003: Seat belt tensioners may not be securely crimped. To be checked and replaced if necessary.

American National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of BMWs fitted with passenger occupancy detection mats. The NHTSA warned that in some of the recalled BMWs it is possible that "the front passenger airbags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur." NHTSA reported on its Web site that the passenger-side airbags can deactivate because of wear associated with a passenger getting in and out of the vehicle. "Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the (sensor) mat. If this occurs, the front passenger airbags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated," the agency warned. BMW dealers will repair the sensor system in the passenger seat when the recall begins in late September. BMW will extend the warranty for airbags on the recalled vehicles "to 10 years from the first registration without any mileage limit," according to NHTSA. The recalled BMWs include the 2004 to 2005 5-Series standard and sport seat models, the 2004 to 2006 X3 and the 2006 3-Series with sport seats. The warranty extension covers the 2006 6-Series, 3-Series with a standard seat, 2004 to 2005 Z4, 2004 to 2006 7-Series, 2006 X5 and 2004 to 2006 5-Series with a comfort seat. "Under the extended warranty program, the occupant detection mat in a vehicle that experiences this specific issue will be replaced at not charge to the customer," NHTSA advises on its Web site. NHTSA began investigating airbags failures in the BMW when the Office of Defect Investigation reported that "the passenger frontal airbag may malfunction and render the passenger airbag inoperative." The models included in the initial investigation were the 2004 to 2006 BMW 5 and 7 series sedans, Z4 convertibles and X3 SUVs, as well as 2006 BMW 3 and 6 series cars
and X5 SUVs.

08-02-2005 R/2005/022 BMW E46, E53, E60, E61, E65, SERIES 3, 5, 7 AND X5 the bearings of the fuel injection pump may fail build dates 30-11-2004 to 31-01-2005

15-4-2014: Worldwide recall of 489,000 BMW cars with six-cylinder 3.0 litre petrol engines of which less than 3,000 are in the UK. These are: N51 (1991-1995) and N52 (from 2005). The screws for the housing of the adjustment unit of the variable camshaft timing (Vanos) for the intake and exhaust camshafts could potentially become loose or break. An engine warning lamp ‘should ’ appear in such circumstances, but if drivers experience any loss of power they should contact their BMW dealer immediately.

10-04-2017: R/2017/106: Driver's airbag may deploy inncorrectly: On some of the vehicles affected by this recall the driver's air bag inflator may rupture during deployment. Metal shards may pass through the air bag material and cause injury to occupants. Fix: On affected vehicles, the air bag inflator will be checked and if necessary replaced. VIN: WBAAL12000AK25430 to WBABN32040JW33505, WBADT32020BF59030 to WBADT42010GX95495, WBAFA72010LN30003 to WBAFB92060LN76046; Build dates: 02-06-2000 to 29-12-2001

BMW Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 7 months ago
Cary York

Please provide me your phone number so I can give you a call. Thank you

I am suppose to get a damn phone call!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello

I've been offline I'm afraid and didn't see your request for new information?

how can I help?