BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Over heating. Replaced water pump (not needed), changed

Customer Question
Over heating. Replaced water...

Over heating. Replaced water pump (not needed), changed thermostat & housing (not needed), flushed radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

No cabin heat either. serviced every year. Only 68K miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2000 BMW323CI

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Flushed radiator - no blockage. New water pump (old one still looked goo). New thermostat & housing. Radiator hose blew & was replaced 4 days ago and its been overheating ever since.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No cabin heat.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
11/20/2017
BMW Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Those cars blow head gaskets very easy, have you done a head gasket test on it ?

Without doubt, the head gasket needs replacing at a cost that exceeds the entire value of the vehicle. Can you recommend an alternative like "Steel Seal" or "Thermagasket Plus"
BMW Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago

So I have actually tried all the products you could try on the same vehicle and this one was blown about 50%, I had no luck with 3 of them and the 4th held for about a day, and these were the best of the best on the market. Including the 2 you mentioned, you can for sure try them but in my experience it would be a waste of money, Best thing to do is sell it as is or part it out.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

I massage the coolant hoses while engine was running and got a substantial amount of air out of the system. She hasn't overheated since and the cabin heat (still almost non existent at idle) improves dramatically at speed. I may have to flush the heater core but it is a royal pain to get to those hoses.

those things are a major pain to bleed, they make a vac kit you can use to get it 100% bled

https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/universal-cooling-system-filler-1.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4SduIOxXlujqHvDJKW1t1qUZ48Hh_NC0ucMJSyxPByt-_Ah0ZhWD9xJxoC4MQQAvD_BwE#

has it overheated again since you got the air out?

No. She's behaving. For cabin heat (non existent at idle) I apparently need to remove the intake manifold and all that's connected to it (including the dip stick apparatus) to get to the heater core hoses at the firewall. Is there a better way?

ive been looking up a few things thats about the best way to get to them, you can use a long pair of needle nose with the flared end to pull them off, but that will take some time for sure

hows it coming?

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician