BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2002 BMW 745i will not start cranks but will not start after…

Customer Question
2002 BMW 745i will...

2002 BMW 745i will not start cranks but will not start after jacking the car with low battery

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Yes I jumped it for a while then put it on the battery charger overnight if it's holding 13 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 745i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the fuel and loose to the injectors and it appears that is pumping fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

While on the jack I did get a tilt warning in the kombi and also the alarm went off a couple times

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
11/20/2017
BMW Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

k

In order for the engine to start and run you need proper fuel pressure, injector pulse at the injector and good spark at the spark plugs, if you are sure you have proper fuel pressure then the next steps would be to check to see if you have good spark at the spark plugs as well as injector pulse. Post back with which you are lacking and we can work from there to get this resolved.

It is pumping fuel I took the fuel line loose the quick connect to the engine and spent the engine over I think either the injectors are cut off or it's not getting spark

Okay then the next step would be to check for spark at the spark plugs while cranking and if that looks okay then checking for injector pulse would be next. You can do this with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end on the power feed wire to any one of the injectors and the ground end on the other wire and then crank the engine over. If you have pulse the light will flash while cranking the engine over.