BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2000 BMW Z3. It randomly has an electrical problem…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 BMW...
I have a 2000 BMW Z3. It randomly has an electrical problem where all of the electric power goes out. For example we drove it to a store and it ran fine. 10 minutes later we came out and it would not start, no lights would come on, no chimes, nothing. We tried to push start it and nothing. Then all of the sudden it started right up when I attempted to crank it. All power was back and it drove hime just fine.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: BMW
11/20/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 10 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello, what has been checked so far?
I haven't really checked much yet. I am sure it is not the battery. All power was lost, the stereo came up asking for the security code when it came back to life. It was as if all power was totally lost. I drove it home and didn't drive it for about a month. I started it today and it started without any trouble, so not a bad battery.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this is most likely just a loose or corroded battery connection - that is the first thing to check

if everything looks good, check the connections at the jump start terminals, as well as the positive cable junction point under the left side of the dash, as well as the positive cable connection at the e box under the hood
if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

That answer doesn’t make sense. If the battery was the issue then why would push starting it not work?
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 months ago

if the battery is disconnected/loose, it won't push start. Please do not forget to click a positive rating