BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My 99 740 IL has a check coolant level error message coming…

Customer Question
My 99 740 IL has...
My 99 740 IL has a check coolant level error message coming on. At first the message came on every 3 - 4 months and I topped off the tank. The message started occurring every month or so and the BMW dealership did a pressure test which they claimed showed a leak in a hose connection. Within a month the error message occurred again, the BMW dealer did another pressure test and stated the pressure test was normal but that I needed to replace my expansion tank. The dealership claimed the expansion tank was cracked internally and when I questioned them they stated that the expansion tank was cracked internally but it was not a through and through crack and that was why the pressure test was normal. I asked them why the system was slowly losing fluid and they made up some non-sensical reason. I went to an honest local mechanic and purchased an OEM expansion tank manufactured by Behr and had it replaced. The error message continued to come on every month or so along with the need to add about 4 - 6 ounces of fluid. The check coolant error message now goes off daily and within minutes of filling up the expansion tank and watching the plastic bobber go up. A repeat pressure test 4 times since it has gotten worse has been negative. I am going to ask the mechanic to fill the tank after it is cool and start the engine while the car is on the rack and see if he can determine where the fluid is going.
I have recently seen a bit of fluid on the garage floor but I can not be certain if the fluid is due to a leak or my poor aim in getting all of the fluid I add into the expansion tank.
Thanks,
Al
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
11/20/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi, how can I help you with this? what was your question specifically?
As per my history above, the system is losing fluid somewhere but all pressure tests have been normal and no evidence of a cracked head. The expansion tnk has been replaced and the problem is getting worse.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if there was coolant on the garage floor and it wasn't from you refilling it, then there is definitely a leak. However, since we dont know if this was a spill, it isnt concrete.

the coolant can only be leaking or being consumed by the engine.

I would recommend the following:

pressure test with vehicle raised and underbody panels removed. increase pressure slightly higher than normal then yank on all hoses and connections. also check head gasket for any signs of coolant seepage after this test.

from there, a leakdown test and chemical cylinder head gasket test carried out.

this will reveal if the engine is consuming the coolant (bad head gasket, cracked head, cracked block) or if there is a very tricky leak

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.