BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Sunroof wont close. 750LI 2012. And just initialized the…

Customer Question
Sunroof wont close Mechanic's...

Sunroof wont close

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

750LI 2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750li yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and just initialized the system

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm trying to manually close it immediately due to rain

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
11/19/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi how can I help you with this? What was your question?
How do I dismantle the sunroof assembly in order to go inside to manually close my sunroof on the 750 LI 2012
BMW Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Before tearing into, first try the initialization procedure

Initializing Tilt Sunroof/Panorama Moonroof

The tilt sunroof and the panorama moonroof can be re-initialized in two different ways: The "Initialize slide/tilt sunroof" can be used to initialize the tilt sunroof and/or the panorama moonroof with a diagnosis command.
- with the switch in the vehicle
- with the "Initialize slide/tilt sunroof" service function

Requirements
Bear the following points in mind so that the initialization runs without errors:
- Adequate battery voltage present, connect charger if necessary.
- Terminal "R" or Terminal 15 switched on

NOTE:
The finger protection is not operational during the initialization process. It is thus vital to ensure that no foreign objects are located in the tilt sunroof's travel path before starting the initialization.
Risk of injury. Ensure that no persons are in the tilt sunroof's immediate vicinity during the initialization process.

Initialization with the switch
Carry out initialization with the switch as follows:
- Press the switch in the "Raise" direction and maintain pressure.
- Continue to maintain pressure on the switch after the sunroof reaches the end of its upward travel range. The initialization process starts after roughly 20 - 30 seconds.
- The floating headliner is opened (panorama glass roof). The tilt sunroof is raised and lowered and then lowered and closed. The floating headliner (panorama glass roof) is closed.
- The initialization process is terminated once the tilt sunroof and the floating headliner (panorama glass roof) are fully closed.

Pressure must be maintained on the switch for the entire duration of the initialization process.

Initializing with the service function
The tilt sunroof and the panorama moonroof automatically move to all end positions during initialization:
- Opens the floating headliner (panorama moonroof)
- Raise and lower slide/tilt sunroof
- Open and close slide/tilt sunroof
- Closes floating headliner (panorama moonroof)

If still wont close, let me know. Just so you are aware, to get to the inside of the assembly to force it shut, most of the interior trim will have to be removed and then the headliner removed.