BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I've been looking around to purchase a used car on eBay and

I've been looking around to...
I've been looking around to purchase a used car on eBay and I came across a seller who has a 100% good reputation and mostly sells rebuilt BMW cars. According to the seller, they buy fresh water flooded cars from insurance companies and get the cars properly on the road again with a rebuilt title. Many of the feedback suggest that people buy multiple times from them, so they seem to be good at what they do.Based on some email exchange, the seller states they have their method nailed down to a science and provide a 2000 mile warranty on their cars.Question: Assuming I get one of those cars which is running fine and all seems well; what can I expect in the future is something were to fail due to the exposure to water? I need information on potential failures so I can make an informed decision to see if the risk is worth the investment.The second question is what should I look for when inspecting the vehicle in person? is there any indication that the car could be a lemon in the future based on its history? Or perhaps you can provide me the right type of questions to ask about how they fixed the problem with the water. I would not even know what to ask.Thanks.CL
11/17/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Lets see the link of car, for most part I wouldn't recommend it but I'll look over vehicle and give my opinion.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks Dan. Here are their listinghttps://goo.gl/zTLWRdAnd ... this is the one I'm interested in:https://goo.gl/d4MftELook at the seller's feedback over the past 5 years.

Thanks, ***** ***** about 5-10 minutes to look everything over.

What is your zip code?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Take your time, no rush. At the bottom of the listing you can see the items their mechanics checked when they repaired the cars; I google that mechanic shop and they have good reputation on Google and Yelp ... these guys seem to be the real deal, but I can't tell for sure. I'm worried about the future and any potential issues that make come up.

My biggest concern is resale value of vehicles with salvaged title is usually around 60% of actual value. So if you were to keep vehicle for 5 years and try to resell it you would probably be taking a bigger loss then just paying the extra 5k up front to get a vehicle with a clean title. What is your zip code?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you Dan. I researched that option based on their listing and most cars would cost over 10K, including the cheapest 300 series using the year and mileage as reference. My zip code is 11372, but i"ll be moving to Orlando in the next few days, 4 hours away from the seller. if I were to pursue this option, could you give me some pointers based on the 2 original questions? Again, no rush, I just want to make the right decision.

After looking over everything I myself wouldn't do it. I don't think you would have any mechanical problems with the vehicle but when it is time to sell you would see why people don't like buying prior salvage vehicle. I'd rather have this vehicle which has more mileage but you would probably be able to sell a lot easier for more. The only real benefit of the vehicle you want is the low mileage but after a year of two of driving it won't be that low but still have a prior salvage title. Dealer would probably drop the price a couple thousand if you contacted them directly and bought car out of ebay. If you do not care at all about resale value then I think the car you showed me would be an alright choice. Or take a couple weeks to a month to keep looking for vehicles once you move and wait for the right deal to come along. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-3-Series-320i-Sedan/292291906256?hash=item440df48ad0:g:gxQAAOSwy~BZ-jLC&vxp=mtr​

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hello did you still need assistance?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Steve,Yes. Someone else tried to help, but offered his opinion on the purchase but did not answer the actual 2 questions I asked. While I appreciate this concern about the resell value or a rebuilt car, my main concern is what to expect and what to look for when buying a rebuilt car that was previously flooded. Can you see the previous discussion?CL
I can see the discussion. perhaps it would be easier to speak by phone, I have offered a call for a nominal fee (which is required to enable contact info sharing). Please let me know if you would prefer to continue by text.
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
please enter your phone number where it says to enter private contact info
Customer reply replied 29 days ago

Steve, Here is my number: ************. I'll wait for your call. Thanks. Carlos

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks again. Please don't forget to sensor the public posting I made with my phone number.
I already sent it in to be removed.
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert