BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Getting 2e84 code and car random over heats/pump will work…

Customer Question
Getting 2e84 code and...

Getting 2e84 code and car random over heats/pump will work sometimes/checking thru fill jug..it has a new pump/thermostat...I can turn on pump with scanner only when car is not running..scanner wont turn on pump while car is running..its a 2007 bmw 328i

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes its topped off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 BMW?

328i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

New water pump and thermostate

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried 2 new pumps so far..i sent to bmw to have it looked at and they gave me a 9 grand price to fix..nit picked the car but could not help me with cooling issue unless I gave the go to fix car

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
11/17/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 8 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What did bmw say needed to be changed for 9000?
they did a diag of the car..charged an hour..said a few oil leaks,suspension work..they also said they needed to install oem pump and thermostat and start from there..would not really look at 1 issues unless I was gonna spend lots of money there 1st..car has lot of miles but never ran bad..still doesn't..just over heats at times..a hose busted a few months ago and fans were noisey..I fixed hose cleared codes ran fine a few months..i used a new german pump and thermostat...can turn on pump with scanner while its on but not running..and restarting car sometimes turns on pump...makes no sence
any ides what sends signal to pump to turn on?