BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

WANTING to buy tires for my Car.... currently have 225/ 45/

WANTING to buy tires for...
WANTING to buy tires for my Car....
currently have 225/ 45/ R17s on it per factory, owners manual says
alternate size is 245/ 40/R17
will the 245/40/17 lower the car stance or is the circumference of the 2 sizes the same .?
my concern is I do not want to lower the car any closer to the ground - this keeping ground clearance same as now.
I look forward to hearing from you soon,
11/17/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** 40 will be 5 percent lower to ground than the 45 tires.
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi, the sidewall height will be 0.13" lower on the 245. Not really material.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
hmmmm RATS! that's too low...... even now I've accidentally pulled the front "rubber" airdam or bumper? loose twice.. so
I'll have to stick to the 45's. THANKS for the quick response... car currently has a 5" road clearance which looks great but crushes a soda can if I run over it on the freeway..... lol have a Great weekend...
please let me know if you have further questions. If satisfied with my assistance please take care to select a positive rating on my answer. thank you.
it is 0.13" - hardly an isuse.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok..... that puts it in better perspective. Thanks for xtra input--- i like the idea of having a slightly wider footprint, a little more rubber on the ground too........I have to avoid running over dead skunks in the road now cause even their dead bodies impact the undercarriage...yuk.... lol and ur right .13" ain't much :) so I'll go with the 40's.... THANKS AGAIN !

you are welcome. please kindly take care to rate my answer

as there are two experts involved, please be sure to rate my answer

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert