BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Radio cycles on and off. OEM. 2014 328i. Nothing, just

Customer Question
Radio cycles on and...

Radio cycles on and off

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

OEM

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2014 328i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing, just started happening last night

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There was some smoothie spilled on the center console controls a few months back .... might be related

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
11/17/2017
BMW Mechanic: Jason, BMW Technician replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, BMW Technician
Hello, my name is*****’m a BMW technician here to try and help you with your vehicle
Any initial ideas as to what may be going on? Note, the aux works since I put my phone on it and I can hear it fine except when it cycles off but comes back on.
Do you loose audio or the radio display turns off and on?
The display only shows the BMW logo, is then static for maybe a minute, then cycles off. So the radio never seems to load the 'entertainment' software, but does allow my aux to work while it's static.
Is the vehicle still under new car warranty?
No, passed the 50k mile mark.
Your going to need someone with a BMW scanner to pull codes and see what’s going on, the idrive control is a control unit and might be causing the radio problems
You recommend purchasing a BMW scanner or does BMW poo poo that?
Carly for BMW is an iPhone app, you’ll need a Bluetooth dongle also. But does a lot.
is this the one? Original Carly for BMW Wifi Adapter Generation 2 Iphone and Ipad - Best App for BMW
Correct, there’s a free version to make sure it works correctly before you buy
Give me a few days. I ordered the Carly scanner.