BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW X5 4.4i 2002, ZF5HP24, Issue with a trans. Trans works…

Customer Question
BMW X5 4.4i 2002, ZF5HP24...
BMW X5 4.4i 2002, ZF5HP24, Issue with a trans.
Trans works fine when driving smoothly in D mode.
But in S mode, during aggressive accelerating trans goes to Fail Safe Mode.
There are two errors stored in EGS:
49 Symptom gear check
52 Gear Check 2
These two errors always appearing (after clearing) and
always in the same conditions, every time:
1) Gear was changed from 1->2 and when on 2 gear starting accelerating hard,
throttle opened more than 40% (60, 70, etc)
2) Gear was changed from 3->2 due to starting accelerating hard,
throttle opened more than 40% (60, 70, etc)From my point of view, trans should do a downshift in both conditions
and switch gear from 2->1.
I get logs from EGS and here is what I see:
Instead of that, engine rpm increasing, trans input speed increasing with
engine rpm, trans output speed not increasing or increasing slowly, wheels rpm
tied to output speed (car slows in accelerating). So, looks like TSS, OSS sensors are fine, cause in case of faulty OSS I guess wheels rpm will increase but output speed is not.
At some moment of time, a difference between trans input speed and output speed
become big enough and EGS detects slip/incorrect ratio and throws trans fail safe
with these two errors and gear goes to 3->4->5 and stucks, S mode not available.
After that I can stop, turn engine off, then immediatelly start again, trans fail safe
error on dash goes away, I can continue driving until the same conditions and
everything will be repeated again.
I checked out ZF documentation, and there is solenoid application chart,
and as I can see for 1 gear EDS1, EDS2, and EDS3 are used.
In EGS logs there are values for EDS solenoids in mA. When solenoid triggered,
value changed in range from 0 to 800mA (it closing or opening). EDS2 solenoid
should be used only for 1 gear (also for N, R, P, but for gears only for 1),
but for some reason, (in logs), looks like it's also triggered for other gears.
Maybe I'm wrong, but could faulty EDS2 prevent switching from 2->1 during hard
acceleration? Or maybe just trans hardware fault?This happens for last year. Trans fluid and filter are changed, new battery, no vacuum
leaks in engine, air mass meter is fine, tried exactly the same EGS unit from another car,
nothing helps so far.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Just a bit more details: Cooling radiator and trans oil cooling thermostat where replaced, trans oil cooler was flushed.
Because a 7-8 months ago when the same happens, the trans temp was high, about 130C. Now it's not more than 100C.
11/16/2017
BMW Mechanic: Jason, BMW Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, BMW Technician
Have you verified correct fluid type and level?