BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a bmw 328i..The battery appears to show some

Customer Question
weakness. I took it in...
I have a bmw 328i..The battery appears to show some weakness. I took it in for
a check up and the dealer said the water pump wasn't shutting off causing the
battery to run down. They suggested I buy a new water pump. Sound Right?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 10 months ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
any codes ? was this a bmw dealer?

We brought it in for an oil change and asked them to check the battery.They then said
it needed to be replaced. But they didn't sound very sure. Then when we brought it in
they said they would run a diagnostic and then said the water pump was the cause and
recommended replacement..
BMW Mechanic: Kevin, BMW Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, BMW Mechanic

Hi im kevin what year is car ?

2009

Ok these are equipped with an electronic water pump that has the abilty to run before and after the car has turned on or off .ive not personally changed one for the reason you have but these pumps are very common to fail

I've read that they do fail but all I read deals with the operation of the pump. It seems unlikely
the pump continues to run when the car is turned off. If so, wouldn't the battery be dead after a period
of time? In this case it just seems that the battery cranks a little slow.

The pump runs for a period after to regulate engine temperature after shutting down .this is how the car is designed to work .in my opinion yes if the pump was the cause in most cases it would run battery flat

That's my concern..In this case the battery is not dead,yet the dealer states that the problem is the pump does not
shut off. Wouldn't you hear the pump running? and if the battery is not dead,should one believe the water pump
should be replaced?

Water pumps are common and running after for a short period is normal .there is likely a fault code relating to pump being the reason for change .they are also very common to leaking

There very well may be some code but again,if it wern't for the excesssive cost it wouldn't be a big deal,but
no leak,no sound and no dead battery yet they say my problems are that it won't shut off? not the battery?

Get a second opinion from another garage if ever unsure .these pumps are supposed to run on for a short period so if this is the only reason for replacement im not sure its a must do repair