BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2004 BMW 330CI No fire to cylinders 4,5,6 Spark plug good…

Customer Question
2004 BMW 330CI No fire to...
2004 BMW 330CI
No fire to cylinders 4,5,6
Spark plug good and coils good. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
11/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. What you need to do, is test those coils for ground. A faulty ground is the most probable cause, since the power from the coils come from the DME, which all 6 coils share. The coils 4, 5, and 6 share a different ground that coils 1, 2, and 3. The ground that would be the cause is ground x6177. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits, along with the ground location. I believe that your issue is going to be a bad ground here. Once you check the coils for the ground signal, which there will likely be none, you will just need to repair this ground to cure your issue.

The wiring of concern is highlighted in the diagram.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

ok, so the car starts and runs for a little while and then it seems as if it chokes out and dies

I understand. This could be due to a number if issue. This sounds like a pedal position or throttle position sensor. There could also be a fuel issue. You will need to check the fuel pressure. Also, to try and pinpoint the cause, you need to have the vehicle scanned for codes. This will direct you to the problematic area.

ok I can scan give me a minute.

No problem.

it saying DME self test RAM check fault (2869)

This issue is concern the control module. The module is indicating that it has an issue and this should be inspected. Also, there is a TSB concerning the code and issue that you are having. This module may need to be replaced, although, in order to verify this, the proper test must be done, which will require special equipment. The information that I am providing outlines all of this information for you.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.