BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I had my oil changed, now the engine lights comes and says

service engine soon, drive moderately...
I had my oil changed, now the engine lights comes and says service engine soon, drive moderately. Whats wrong
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the BMW Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2003 745i
JA: Are you fixing your 745i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im not a mechanic, nothing. Oil changed on Friday, issue today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/13/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello are you there?

The service engine light soon comes on when the computer sees a system fault and when this happens the system will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to start first with having the computer system scanned. Since you just had your oil changed I would start first with making sure the oil level is correct and if so, return to the shop that did the oil change and have them recheck there work to be sure they did not leave something disconnected during the oil change. If you did not have this issue before the oil change then its like something they caused.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So here's the thing. The oil was actually changed a week ago. The system stated, low oil, so more was added this Friday to top it off. I watched them add more and check the dip stick. Everything was fine. Once I drove off and parked the car started knocking and shaking a bit. I put my foot on the accelerator it stopped. The next day I started the car and thats when the engine light came on.

Knocking is not a good sign and usually indicates damage from running it low on oil . When they add more oil did they check it to see if there where any leaks ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anywhere I can take to get the codes read, without taking it to the dealership?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Yes most all parts store such as Auto Zone and or Advance will scan the system for you at no charge.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. As soon as I leave the dentist Im heading straight there. Would I be able to get back in contact with you specifically to let you know the code?

Yes you can return to this post and we can work from there. Before you drive it to far, make sure your oil level is okay as well. The post remains open as long as you need me even after you rate the service.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks Ron

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

The first code is the code you need to address first and in most cases that is caused by a failing Crankcase Ventilation Control Valve . The crankcase ventilation system should maintain a minimum amount of vacuum at the oil fill cap. If the vacuum level is greater than 3/4", the ventilation valves will need to be replaced. The valves are on the top of the valve covers and can be replaced individually. A failure of the valves will create too much vacuum in the crankcase which pulls oil into the intake manifold. If they have failed that may have been the cause of why you where low on oil as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. That doesn't seem too expensive

That would be the correct place to start and once this code has been resolved clear the others out and I suspect you should be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help.. My car is fixed. Lol. You won't believe what the problem was! The cap to the oil reservior wasn't screwded on tight enough

I suspected something ws left loose when the oil was changed. Glad all is well and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks a million

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician