BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2004 X3 that is missing the plug that connects to…

I have a 2004 X3...
I have a 2004 X3 that is missing the plug that connects to the power window switches on the driver's door. I see the switch has 4 recessed pins(numbered 1-4) on the bottom and there are 4 wires that connect to the pins.
Can you tell me which wire goes to what pin?The wire colors are:Red w/ grey stripe
Browns w/ red stripe
Brown
Grey w/ red stripe
11/12/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the vin?
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
WBXPA73434WC37822
If you can't call me, then it's not a problem.
Just send me a reply here with which wires go to which pins of the power window switch.
Thanks.
Phone call session started

does the vehicle have seat memory or fold in mirrors?

Seat memory yes, but no fold in mirrors.

the bmw wiring system shows a three wire config for this build month with seat memory. pins:

1 red green
2 brown
3 brown red

This model definitely has 4 wires going to the switch panel and there is no red wire with a green stripe. My red wire has a grey stripe on it.
Can you please check 2004 or 2005 models until you find one with 4 wires going to the switch?
I checked the factory BMW diagram for models built after 03/2004 which is your vehicle. I have also checked all other diagrams for different build dates and even different option packages - nothing that bmw has published matches your wire colors. I can send you the diagrams if you want, but there is no diagram with your wire config.
Ok, after looking at the wires closely, I stand corrected.
The red wire does have a green stripe, not grey.
The other colors are still what I listed above.
Also, the brown with red stripe and grey with red stripe wires are smaller in diameter than the other two.
Does this change anything in your findings?

no it does not. I would attached the wires as I have stated and then the additional one to the spare pin.

I'll try connecting the wires like you suggested.
So, is what you're telling me is that no 2004 BMW x3 ever had 4 wires going to the power window switch?
If so, I must have the only one in the world.
I am only stating what is in the bmw wiring database, nothing more
That's what I meant. "Saying" was a figurative term I was using.
I can't understand the discrepancy, but I guess it is what it is.
The 4th wire may be superfluous, sometimes bmw does weird things like that then doesn’t note it
Hi Steve,
Your wiring recommendation above was correct as I was able to acquire a factory plug from a salvage yard on eBay and verify it before connecting the wires to the switch.
After splicing the wires so I can use the factory plug, I inserted the plug into the switch, turned the ignition switch on only to find nothing works. None of the windows won't go up or down, the green indicator for the window lockout feature doesn't illuminate if I push the button, and none of the mirrors work.
FWIW, it's quite likely that some of the wires probably touched each other since there wasn't a plug to keep the wires separated as they should be.
All the windows and both mirrors worked before I took the door panel off.
Is there some type of switch or relay that is keeping the driver's side switch from working?

no, there is no relay or switch in this circuit.

only the general module and fuses.
What should I check?

fuses and wiring. then I would have the vehicle scanned with a high end bmw scan tool

The wiring is correct. I made sure I kept the wire colors the same when splicing the.
Where is the fuse located?
The window switches on the other 3 doors do work.
there is only one fuse box on this vehicle, behind a panel in the glove box.
should be 57 or 31 but i would reference your own fuse card to be sure
Does the fuse control all the windows?
no
if the wires going to the window switch touched one another, it may have blown the fuse?
I just pulled fuse 57 and it's blown. Fuse card states power mirror for that fuse.
it fuses the drivers door switch unit
I just replaced the fuse and BINGO! the window switch is working again.
Thank you for all your help.
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert