BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2006 e53 x5 4.4I 104K miles. I bought is a couple…

Customer Question
Hi Roger,I have a 2006...
Hi Roger,I have a 2006 e53 x5 4.4I 104K miles. I bought is a couple of years ago and has a history of running odd under very cold conditions. Idle fluctuates - revs upon start until warm and the car vibrates. Usually under 50 degrees. especially evident and exacerbated during near freezing temps. The car leaks oil and may have a valve seal leak as it will smoke if left idling for long periods once you take off. Last night I saw an extraordinary amount of oil on the ground after being parked for several hours and knew it wasn't normal. After trying to start it if was a very rough idle and shake and oil began to leak at almost a draining rate. It was dark and very cold. I couldn't determine exactly where the leak was coming from but seem to be passenger front side. I replaced the mass airflow sensor last year and it helped with the fluctuating idling. All of the engine coils were replaced last year also after failer coded popped up. All problems happen in cold weather. The car almost runs like a different car above 60 degrees.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
11/11/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 5 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello. How can I help you with this? What was the specific question you wanted answered?
Roger, BMW Master Tech