BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just bought a 750li 2011 activehybrid 7. Changing the

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 750li 2011 activehybrid 7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750li yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changing the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

I just got the car

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hybrid system failure

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
11/10/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 5 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi how can I help you with this?
I just got the car. I jumpstarted it and drove it for about 100 ft
Today someone jumpstarted it to move it out of the way and now it won't start. It says hybrid system malfunction . It's a 750li activehybrid7
Right - But what was your question? What did you want to know about this?
What should I check to get it to start
There isn’t a lot you can check at home. You can check all fuses and try a second key but the vehicle will most likely be scanned wth a bmw scan tool to identify the underlying failure. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Did you have additional questions?
The errors I am getting are
High-voltage battery, positive,negative and preload switching contactor defective. and when I open them they all say terminal 30 on. how do I reset the terminal or contactor. and where are they located.
Thank you
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

The car is a Activehybrid 7 2011
The errors I am getting are
High-voltage battery, positive,negative and preload switching contactor defective. and when I open them they all say terminal 30 on. the car was in an accident, I replaced the main 12v cable from the battery, but the car is not starting. it says contactor is open so the high voltage battery is not sending power in the high voltage system. the HV has a charge of 57%.

Do you have the P code numbers?

p1a4a, p0c4a, p0c47, other info that I have is that
Switch-off of the high-voltage electrical system in the event of an accidentIn normal operation, the battery management electronics (SME) are supplied via terminal 30F. The coils of the electromechanical switch contactors are also supplied via this terminal.In the event of an accident, switch-off of the high-voltage electrical system is realised via an additional normally closed contact at the safety battery terminal. This switch contact opens when the safety battery terminal is activated simultaneous to break-off of the positive battery cable. The voltage supply to the battery management electronics is interrupted. The contacts of the switch contactors open, and the high-voltage battery can thus no longer feed voltage into the high-voltage electrical system. From the supply line of the battery management electronics, a line branches off to the electrical machine electronics (EME). The electrical machine electronics perform electrical evaluation of this line. In the event of an accident, the voltage in this line falls to 0 volts. The electrical machine electronics system then discharges the capacitors and short-circuits the windings of the electrical machine. The high-voltage electrical system thus remains inactive even if terminal 15 is switched on again.

Can you post the VIN?

WBAKX8C55BC198227

I have no reference for these codes for this vehicle. I will need to leave your question open for others.

I guess bmw has a safety feature for hybrid. so when it gets in a accident it opens the switch contactor so high voltage does not leave the battery. how do I close it the contactor ?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician