BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW SAS readiness test not completing

Customer Question
BMW SAS readiness test not completing
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
BMW Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 6 months ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

which monitors?

Hello, as stated, SAS monitor not completing. Please answer only if you are able to get in depth with me, past the basic troubleshooting which I have already done. If you do not know what the BMW SAS system is, please recuse yourself from this question. Otherwise, let's proceed. In the interest of saving you time, here's what was already done: 1. vacuum signal at cold startup confirmed at exhaust/pump check valve; 2. check valve removed and bench tested, confirmed opens with vacuum and passes air under vacuum actuation; 3. blower removed and bench tested, confirmed to work well (blows very strong stream with 12VDC applied; 4. port passage confirmed free of carbon deposits. As stated, SAS readiness test still not completing.
BMW Mechanic: Dana, Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Dana
Dana, Mechanic

Are all other monitors set? Have you done the "bmw readiness drive cycle" at least 2 times?

SAIR monitor on this year is particularly tricky to set. Will only run the test after o2's are set during drive cycle, and then engine has been shut off for a few min, then restarted and idled. Are you trying to set monitors for emissions inspection, or because you repaired something in the sair system? There is no way to force readiness test on this motor- strictly drive cycle.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/BMW%20FTP72%20Drive%20Cycle%20Procedure.pdf

all other readiness monitors are set, no codes either. Trying to pass emissions in CA. The only repair made in SAIR system is replaced small vacuum hose to check valve. Verified vacuum signal at hose on cold start. Check valve opens with hand pump. Blower blows strong. Drove vehicle for several days, still not setting. At wits end.

It's been 4 years since I worked in CA, but then you could have 1 monitor not ready (but not failed) and pass smog.

There is no other way to set sair readiness on these- drive, idle after driving for 10+min. Let car rest off for 5 min, then idle for 10. Do that a few times. I've had these take many drives to set. I wish I had a simple answer for this.

Please tell me EXACTLY what drive cycle I should do and I will try it. If that sets the SAS monitor, I will be a very happy $$ customer.
I was told by the station that the only monitor allowed not ready for Bmw is evap, but not sas. They could be full of it, I don’t know.

Did you check out the link that i sent earlier?

I saw that link before, but it’s hard to follow that cycle in LA. And I thought SAS sets on cold start only. Everything else sets after 1-2 drive cycles, except the SAS which is supposed to set right off the bat after 2:10minutes??
I’ll try your 10-5-10 suggestion, thank you.

I just checked with a smog inspector in CA, and you are correct regarding the EVAP being the only monitor allowed not set. The drive cycle that I linked earlier is the only drive cycle BMW has ever released.

Ok at least I know the station isn’t trying to screw me. All I can do now is try the 10-5-10min. I’ll have acces to the vehicle on Thursday (belongs to my boss) and will let you know. Thanks.

Good luck

Hello Dana. I’m running readiness tests again (because of a stupid fuel cap 0440 code which came up right after we spoke on Tuesday). Anyways, still trying to get the dreaded SAIR to set. The question is: will it set if O2 heater isn’t complete yet? I drove vehicle 40 miles and heaters aren’t set yet. I’m doing the 10-50-10 minute idle cycle like you suggested, but not sure if I’m wasting my time with the heaters having not set yet. Thanks.

With the BMW drive cycle, it should set o2 heaters after the 2nd drive. SAIR wont set unless o2 and heater are set that trip.

After driving another 200 miles and doing "drive/10min idle/5min off/10min idle" 3 times, the SAIR monitor is still not setting (with all other monitors having set). Could it be a lazy 02 sensor which still completes but doesn't allow the SAIR monitor to run due to being lazy? How would I check for that? Also, is there a way to "help" the SAIR monitor to complete, like maybe blow more air into the blower hose, or introduce a vacuum leak at cold start? Again, the blower runs and vac signal present at check valve for 1-2 min at cold start.
Roger, BMW Master Tech