BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW X3 2006.. 4x4 light on.. steering at a stop feels fine..

Customer Question
as I add gas the...
BMW X3 2006.. 4x4 light on.. steering at a stop feels fine.. as I add gas the wheels slip and feels like the brakes are being applied.. car feels fine in a straight line and turning under 45degrees..
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
Hi I have a BMW X3 2006 and my 4x4 light just came on.. I think it may be the steering sensor.. the car drives fine straight, and slips and groans when making turns.. the steering feels fine at a complete stop, but slow tight turns, feel like the brakes are being applied.
11/5/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Does the abs or traction control cut in?
The feeling is the brakes are being applied when I make a three point turn, making me have to give more gas. Once I straighten the wheel the car runs normal.. also during tight turns the wheels slip.. I’m now making 5-6 point turns
Help! Anybody

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

these symptoms suggest a problem with the transfer case, not likely the steering angle sensor

you will need to have the fault logs read from the car as a next step to confirm.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert