BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I drive screen went crazy and started scrolling. radio still

works I think it is...
I drive screen went crazy and started scrolling. radio still works I think it is the MPM Module
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2006 530 1 no navigation
JA: Are you fixing your 530 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if i can i will
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have been searching and I think it is either a) the screen or B) the mpm Module. The problem started last week. When you shut the car off and got back in within a min r so the screen was just whit. Then yesterday my wife was driving in a construction zone with a real rought road and it started scrolling then went blank. It came back on today but it was fuzzy the went off
10/23/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Can you be more specific about the scrolling?
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve,
Last week I started the car and the screen was white. The next time I started it it was fine. This has been happening off and on. Everything works but the screen. Then yesterday the screen went kinda fuzzy , blurry I will say. The just started scrolling over and over then went off. Later on I started the car again. Screen was white, then went off. Raido ,headlights ,and everything still works. So I put my Scanner on it . I have an iCarsoft BM II multi-system diagnostic Tool/ No Codes came up. I then went to check the MPM Module in the trunk. There is not one there nor could I locate it on either side. I understand the car doesnet have a CCC Mod. No navigation on the car. The Car is a 2006 530 I. I am kinda thinking the screen itself has failed. This morning I went out and started the car. The screen came on but was kinda blurry and distorted. Shut the car off, Screen was white. Again Radio works, I have a new battery installed by My INDY Shop ( DFW Bimmer). any help would be great.
Thanks,
William
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Steve I Took a picture of the screen a min ago . I can send it to you if it will help.
what is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
CM42198

your build date shows it should have a ccc... why do you think you do not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because it does not have navagation

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the in dash unit is a CCC or an M-ASK depending on equipment level. In either case this is what puts an image to the screen.
It is not common for the screen intself to fail, more commonly the M-ASK or CCC.
The only way to veify would be to have a diagnostic run on a high end BMW scan tool, or swap in a known good screen.

in a rare instance another module (eg: phone/Bluetooth module) can also fail and bring down the system but that tis not likely in this case.
if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert