BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

I have a 98 M3 convertible and th e top will not move. I

Customer Question
hello I have a 98...
hello I have a 98 M3 convertible and th e top will not move. I reset it and it clicks from behind the glove box. I removed the glove box but do not know which module or resister may be the problem, can you help? the top is stuck down...
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: the modules (harnesses) behind wher ethe g;love box resides. It clicks like it is trying to engage but I get no power to motors
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes.. power to switch, reset motors, chedked fuse and wireing in back.. tunnel cover will not open.. but I really dont want to do the motors again...lol
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats about it... and it enough hahaha'
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 day by:
10/22/2017
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that will prevent top operation and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. The problem could be mechanical failure preventing it from moving or the module that controls the top may be intentionally stopping operation because of an input. If it doesn't see the state of all components is correct then it will stop operation. There is a good chance you have a bad microswitch.

If no visible problems with wiring or mechanical components can be seen then a scan tool will need to be used from this point. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes have set and live data may need to be monitored.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The microswitch on the tunnel cover catch, works. I am not sure how to test S1 & S2 in the trunk. When I reset with the system with windows up there is a module behind the glove box clicks and the windows go down in an on/off herky-jerky movement of the windows. I do not know which module control the top, do you? Where would I find a wiring diagram or anything that would assist in the identification and the process or flow of the circuit as well as testing points.

A scan tool is going to be needed for further testing if there are no visible wiring or mechanical problems.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
which/what scanning tool?

Any full capability scan tool such as a factory unit, Snap On, OTC, etc.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician