BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2005 BMW Z4 Convertible. after repaiting the top…

I have a 2005 BMW...
I have a 2005 BMW Z4 Convertible. after repaiting the top motor the convertible does not shot completely and the red button flashed
I repaird the frozen motor for the top but after putting the top back on there is a 1/2 inch gap between the top and the top of the windshield. The anchors seem to be fully closed and the red convertible dash light keeps blinking red
10/16/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi what is the last 7 of the vin?
It is:
LR71333
Hi, Are you there?
Are you investigating or we should continue this tomorrow?
Steve??!! Hellooo...
nobody of all these expert mechanics know how to fix this problem? I don't want to give up but should I?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Please check your fuses to be sure this isn’t a fuse issue. You can also unhook the car’s battery for one hour to fully reset the system.

Aside from fuses, this convertible top system is very complex and uses a control module and multiple sensors as well as the drive units which feed into to the module so that it knows exactly what motors to send power to, at what times. When just one of these sensors stops sending a signal to the convertible top module, the top with no longer operate, and the button will light up.

In order to determine which sensor or component has failed, the fault memory will need to be read out of the convertible top system using a BMW scan tool. Once the memory is read, the faulty component can be easily identified and replaced, and functionality restored to the top. Without reading the fault memory, there is unfortunately no way to know what the failure is, and the system is impossible to repair.

I am sorry I cannot have a simpler answer for you, but I trust that my honest reply is appreciated.

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert