BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2004 745li. The car runs great but at 500 rpm in gear it…

2004 745li. The car runs...
2004 745li. The car runs great but at 500 rpm in gear it sounds like a windows*****dear where the vanos is located. Is this the vamps making noise? Worn out solenoids? I did put new seals on the solenoids and cleaned it the gunk. The noise only activates when the car is put in gear otherwise the car runs great. It's pretty loud too.
Vanos *
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUeyIhWVhc I found a video that sounds like the same noise
When I put the car in park the noise goes away
It seems maybe coming from the vacuum pump. Bad vacuum pump maybe?
10/14/2017
Matt, Engineer

hello

listening to that video I'd agree that it sounds like the VANOS pulley may be moving about more than it should

I'd suggest to drain the oil, replace the filter and re-fill with fresh as the 1st step as the VANOS system is susceptible to clogged oilways and sticking as a result

if its been like this for a while then you may need to replace the pulley with new

Matt, Engineer