BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Last year I bought this 03 X5 (195k) with heat and air

Last year I bought...
Last year I bought this 03 X5 (195k) with heat and air conditioning fully working but only blowing on my feet. Anout 5-7 months ago it stopped blowing heat and air on the feet. ( living in Colorado I've been able to love this car without heat & air for me... but I babysit kids so I need it warm &cool to drive them around as well as pets ) however sometimes I need defrost now that winter is coming )And I have a Mobile Mechanic that's been able to fix everything else the BMW dealership found wrong on my car via a complimentary inspection, however he was only able to get it blowing on my feet again front seat and backseat. So I have no defrost also ( it didn't come wi defrost working either... but is an amazing deal for an amazing vehicle ) currently last week ( I love this Mobile Mechanic however him and his family are moving next Tues.. it's possible I can finish working on this with your help ) so he showed me actuators maybe aren't working maybe, (1 looks rebuilt) and then he didn't have enough time that day to find out if there is a main power supply for the actuators or anything else controlling and deciding where the air blows I need it in the middle and defrost . ( it appears somebody worked on these actuators before I got the vehicle to try and figure out (A local dealer sold it to me at the auction but my gut tells me he only got it to blow on feet still) and this is after he's checked everything fuses, blower fan, The silver part shaped like a Porky Pine quills ( Forget what it's called right now ...which was the first thing I found and replaced and that's not the problem.
I will greatly look forward to your reply if I need to order or or buy parts I want to do that before my mechanic comes back over on Monday . Thank you so much
For any reason you don't have my email or phone number because I cannot go back to that page it's(###) ###-####and my email is***@******.***
10/13/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

the actuator motor that needs checking is the Replacing Servodrive Of Ventilation Flaps (Automatic A/C) & defrost flap actuator or servo drive

but your mechanic is right power needs checking at the actuator are they getting power before replacement

click on link to view R & R of the servo drive or actuator

these actuator are common issue but testing is needed ,you can buy them from ebay , i suggest you pull them out first and check them,you can look at the gears for broken teeth on them is the failure causing the mode door and blend door not to move when commanded by from dash HVAC panel ,in some cases the actuator are fine and has power but the hvac module in the dash is the issue

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2003-BMW-E53-X5-AC-HEATER-BOX-DEFROSTER-FLAP-ACTUATOR-OEM-64116902698-/112018457643?fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ABMW%7CModel%3AX5&hash=item1a14d2042b:g:yYkAAOSwmtJXVHAV&vxp=mtr

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

OK my mechanics with me we didn't buy the HVAC joker they said he couldn't find it the first time so how do we find it? to test it since we don't know if that's what it is yet
Hey sorry went off line for a little today usualy work weekdays ,
The hvac with Bmw scanner you can test functionality , but with out there is not a specific test for it manual
Unplug it ,check connector for any burned out pins inside connector and hvac module side , check for power on it ,that what I would , they are common issue , if the actuators are good , usualy we see hvac module on higher mileage one actuators go out first but this is not a rule just most common
Hope that helps
Chad
Chad Farhat
Ok.. so where is the HVAC module? Sorry I had a voice text error in that last reply . I think I'm on my own now working on that heater and air conditioning problem now.
No worries the hvac module is actual controls in the dash wher you turn heater on and off

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800