BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 06 525xi with code 5f3a what the deal. I did on the…

Customer Question
I have a 06...

I have a 06 525xi with code 5f3a what the deal

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Yes I did on the sreen comes up awd,dsc,abs.and emerg ebv

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
10/6/2017
BMW Mechanic: Master Auto Tech., master tech. replied 7 months ago
Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So that code is for a internal transfer case failure. This is a common failure unfortunately. There is no real testing that can be done. You can drain the fluid and look for metal shavings or clutch material. It only holds 1/3qt which might be a reason for so many failures. You can also pull the encoder motor and make sure the gears are ok on it. Let me know if you have any questionsI strive to provide 5 star service. If I satisfactorily answer your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
I pulled that took it apart cleaned it gears looked good in there motror works I marked the gear to see if it moves and it did
Gotcha. Then next I’d drain the fluid and look for contamination.
That the only electrical component on the transfer case correct oil gas no knowledge Right so we're do I go the front shaft rotates fine
the fluid is good?
Ya it's fine
Ok so then I’d open up the encoder motor and check the gear inside it. They fail inside. It would turn with no pressure on it but won’t on the transfer case.
It should have nylon gears inside it.
Or did you already take it apart?
It's all steel gears in side took it apart to clean it
Awe you got the good one. Ok so I’ll opt out and see if someone else can help.
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the transfer case fluid was full and clean and there have been no abnormal noises from the transfer case then I would recommend replacing the transfer case shift motor.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician