BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Car is lurching when at a stop light ect. RPM jump slightly.

Customer Question
Car is lurching when...

Car is lurching when at a stop light ect. RPM jump slightly

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The car lurches when at an idle such as a stop light or stop sign

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 BMW 525

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet. Just started yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Having the air conditioning on does not make a difference

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Trying to find out if it's safe to drink be. Or could be a serious problem
10/3/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Do any warning lights come on when this happens? How violent is the lurching?
No. I did take it to the dealer last Thursday to get oil change and they said it's time for a brake flush. No engine or oil light is on

thanks. so your question, to clarify, is if it is safe to drive or not?

Is it safe to drive and what could be the cause. Onset was sudden. Only things to change were getting the oil changed. And I also filled the gas tank the day before

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

I would strongly advise against driving like this. A) it isn't terribly safe if the car is lurching in a hard to control manner and B) this is definitely not good for the car.

I would suspect the issue is with the crankcase ventilation system or idle control system, but hands on checks will need to be made to verify

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert