BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Drivetrain malfunction indicator. 2013 x3. I have it at a…

Customer Question
Drivetrain malfunction indicator Mechanic's...

Drivetrain malfunction indicator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2013 x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have it at a repair shop I am just trying to educate myself so I know what it might be and I am not taken advantage of

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it thx

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: BMW
10/3/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately there can be a wide range of causes for this fault you see here.Most common is a fault with the transmission or a transmission component needing replaced.

What the shop or dealer will do here is they will plug in their scan tool or computer to read codes from your vehicles computers to see what codes are set with this issue.Once this is done the codes are then diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.There are several sensors and solenoids and other components on the engine and transmission that will cause this issue so the codes do have to be read out to help locate the cause.

I would say the diagnosis can run anywhere between $100 to $250 to have diagnosed and repair costs will vary all depending on what is found to be at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete