BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

This gear symbol with the! Sign lit up and my car can't

Customer Question
This gear symbol with...

This gear symbol with the ! Sign lit up and my car can't engage gears sometimes.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

It's a 1998, 323i and I haven't been in the country for 2 weeks, doesn't have time to have it checked before leaving.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Country?

Didn't*

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Country yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't have mechanics experience, but I want to know posible situations for when I take it to a garage to get checked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what are the possible issues that could exist, considering the driving or reverse gear doesn't engage and the cog icon with the exclamation ***** *****ghts up. Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
10/2/2017
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

There TCM (transmission control module under the hood , common failure ,you can buy them on ebay around $100 (TCM module for 1998 bmw 3231 )search for that )

you can try resetting it using below procedure)

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Sorry, I do not have mechanics experience and can't really find this items easily in the UAE, however, are you saying that the problem where I can't drive my car because the gear symbol comes up, will get fixed by doing this? Or is it just an assumption?

now it want get fixed , the scan is important if it comes back, the symbol is indicating a fault in transmission ,but to know why we need codes, could tcm module , temp sensor ,wiring etcc.

but i have changed more tcm module for the issue you describing than anything else

so the reset if it works wiLl be good indication it is the module but will come back again when the tcm module acts up again Usually RELATED TO HEAT, I LIVED IN QATAR BEFORE AND I KNOW HOW HOW IT GETS .LOL

I'll try to have the car checked and ask them to do this and hopefully it can show what the problem is

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU GO THEY HAVE CAPABLE SCANNER THAT CAN READ BMW TCM MODULE , NOT JUST A BASIC CODE READER

SOUNDS GOOD

LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET FAULT I CAN HELP FURTHER

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat