BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My BMW m6 e63 2006 is giving me the error 4F21 SMG

Customer Question
Hello, my BMW m6 e63...
Hello, my BMW m6 e63 2006 is giving me the error 4F21 SMG Transmission Control Evaluation of Estate. I haven't been able to find a solution about this specific code in all internet and bmw forums.... ūüėē Do you have any clue on how to resolve it?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 6 days by:
10/8/2017
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I'm not showing this as a valid code in the factory service information. It may have been reported incorrectly if you used some type of generic code reader.

Can you post the VIN?
Do you have the actual P code number?

That is the code that ISTA P is showing 4F21 SMG TRANSMISSION CONTROL INTERNAL FAULT (ESTATE). Many other error codes with SMG transmissions are 4Fxx. The VIN number is ***** Thank you for your help. BMW M6 e63 V10 2006.

The VIN is 17 digits.

WBSEH91006B778242

Do you have the actual P code number? It will be a P and four digits.

What are you reading these with?

Codes were red with the Carly application and another scanner both showing the same. I saw in forums many people talking about other error codes related to their SMG transmission like 4F40, 4F80... and many others... I am going to have the codes red with INPA or ISTA P ... so maybe they will be shown in a different way... thank you!

You're welcome!

I have been told that the error is very strange, and that it could be related to a problem with the SMG Module. I haven’t been able to read the codes with ISTA P yet.
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

Yes, it could be a module issue.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician