BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 29a8 code problem, any ideas. Had it reset about 3…

Customer Question
I have a 29a8...

I have a 29a8 code problem, any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Had it reset about 3 months ago when i had a new battery put in, error code 29a8

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

525i 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525i yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing myself, haven tried anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: BMW
9/29/2017
BMW Mechanic: Roger, BMW Master Tech replied 11 months ago
Roger, BMW Master Tech

I would like to look into any open campaigns for your vehicle related to this fault code. Can you post the last seven digits of the VIN number please?

Thank you.

Regards,

Can you please double check the VIN. The last seven do not pull up any vehicle on my end. Thank you.

Thank you. I was able to pull up the information.

On your 5 series BMW has a known issue with water getting into the trunk and the modules under the spare tire. I would remove the spare tire and take a look at any modules located between the foam panels under the spare tire. Check for any corrosion on the modules or pins on the connectors. This may be the source of a battery drain.

From the faults you posted this may actually just be a bad IBS or intelligent battery sensor. This is the negative cable that reports the state of charge to the engine computer. I have seen the negative cable fail many times. If everything is clean under the spare tire I would recommend starting with the negative cable on the battery. Clear the codes and recheck.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a positive rating and let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards,