BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Auto body question. 2002 BMW 325XI, rear bumper cover is a

mess, not worth trying to...
Auto body question. 2002 BMW 325XI, rear bumper cover is a mess, not worth trying to repair and repaint. Since is is an older car with a less than perfect body I am looking at an aftermarket product, CAPA certified if you think that helps. Prefer to buy from a domestic manufacturer but maybe I am kidding myself. Recommendation for a good source that makes decent quality, fair price, and hopefully US made?
9/28/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
You are looking to purchase an after market bumper cover?
unless BMW suddenly dropped their prices by about 80%.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

you are unlikely to find a US made one... unless it is a one off.

there are options that are reasonably priced, but you will probably get what you pay for. There are no big brand names for simple oem replacement rear bumpers, body kits yes, but just a bumper cover, no. As I said there are options but I would be sure to get one made out of ABS as opposed to fiberglass or anything else ridged. You could also potentially look for a used one from a car with a junked front end

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle...

I am hoping to be able to order on line but don't trust an unknown source, which is why I asked about CAPA. So you cannot recommend a specific source that you would go to if you were looking to buy? Used BMW original is a possibility but I'd want to be very critical, no need to buy problems. I already have that.

I frankly wouldn't buy a non-OEM bumper, I know they are usually junk - poor fittment and chip/break/etc very easily. And again, there is no big name in this game.

If I was cost constrained I would buy a used one that I was able to inspect before purchase. If you buy online, you have no way to know if you are buying problems are not - if you're spending $180 on it, chances are you will be.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Ok, fair answer. I will have to look around. Thanks.
You are welcome please kindly select a positive rating
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert