BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Smoke from under the hood and burning smell. 85000 and no.

Customer Question
White smoke from under...

White smoke from under the hood and burning smell

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

85000 and no.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2008 x3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I may. nothing i just turned it off and drove my other car.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you. The car has been sitting up for a few weeks because the battery was drained.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
9/26/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The smoke and smell is usually from either engine oil being burned off under hood by hot exhaust from an engine oil leak from a component like a leaking valve cover gasket or an issue with the same with an engine coolant leak.It may also be coming from the engine drive belt smoking due to a pulley that has seized up.It is a good idea to leave it off for now.

What has to be done is to have the engine checked over for any leaks.Any leaks found then need to be repaired to resolve this fault here.The belt also needs checked over for any issues needing repaired.

Most of the time it is engine oil leaking from a valve cover gasket needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Can i drive it to the repair shop?

If it is smoking badly I wouldnt drive it to the shop this way.You dont want an engine fire especially if it smells like fuel.

If it is a light smoke and there are no noises and it runs o.k. then you should be o.k. to drive it to the shop.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician