BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

No start or rpm signal. They are. 2003 bmw 325ci. I replaced…

No start or rpm...

No start or rpm signal

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

They are

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2003 bmw 325ci

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I replaced crankshaft sensor engine t7rns but will not start. There is fuel but no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The engine on this car was replaced with one of the same year and model

9/23/2017
Roger, BMW Master Tech

What was the original reason for the engine replacement? Did the original engine start and run?

Did the engine computer or EWS module get replaced on this vehicle?

Do you have a code scanner and if so are you getting any faults?

Best Regards,

Original engine seized. All original modules stayed i have not used a scanner on it to retrieve codes

Alright. So there is no way to know the state of the vehicle electronics before you started.

With a crank no start a few things come to mind.

The DME and EWS may be out of sync. When this happens the engine computer will not release spark.

A good scanner with control module functions will be needed to scan and re-sync the EWS and DME rolling code. This may be all it needs to get the engine to start.

The one thing I can think of that may be related to the engine repair would be if the flywheel was not put on in the correct location via the locating pin. If there was no locating pin the flywheel will be out of sync and the crank position will not be able to be determined. But often the vehicle will sputter or spark can be restored if you clear the codes when this happens until it determines the position is not correct.

The usual cause is the out of sync EWS and DME.

I hope this proves helpful. Please provide positive feedback and I hope this leads to a fix for you.

Best Regards,

Ok so with a scan tool would I be able to reset or sync these modules?

Unfortunately a regular scan tool will not do this.

You would need a high end scanner that has full diagnostic capabilities usually with programming like an autel or snap on scan tool.

There are some other options but this will not have diagnostic ability.

https://www.amazon.com/Programmer-1995-2005-Newest-Version-V3-19/dp/B019GFIQS2

A more cost effective way to handle this just be to farm it out to a shop that already has these tools. A good European shop can do this for the cost of .5 to 1 hour labor. This might be a more cost effective way to get this done. They can check the EWS signal, rolling code, transmission signal, key transmission signal using a good scan tool.

Ok thanks for the help

You are very welcome. If I can help further please let me know and I will do my best to help. Please remember to select a positive rating.

Kind Regards,

Roger, BMW Master Tech