BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Second opinion] 2002 325xi. The drivetrain has a distinct

(no doubt about it) audible...
Second opinion] 2002 325xi. The drivetrain has a distinct (no doubt about it) audible and physical rumbling that changes frequency with the speed of the car and occur from shortly after starting to move and ends abruptly at about 20 mph. Seems to come from under car but hard to tell. Does not happen always but usually. Was told it might be a driveshaft bushing. No other symptoms, runs smooth at higher speeds. Can you identify what this is?
I am hoping the tech who responds will recognize these symptoms. Never seen (felt) anything like this in other cars. It is more than obvious but just as dramatically disappears once the car gets to about 20 mph.
9/21/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello

does the noise get louder with increased load?

if so then I'd suspect that the propshaft either has a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance

you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose

so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards

Propshaft is drive shaft to rear wheels?

thats correct

check it out and let me know on this post

Hope to do so this weekend. I guess I am surprised the description of symptoms doesn't jump out as being very recognizable and therefore something you can immediately point to. This isn't a kinda little thing, it suggests a real problem, and I doubt this is the only 325xi that has experienced this issue. I'll let you know.

understood

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer